Voting is one of the greatest privileges and responsibilities of citizenship in the United States.
With the national election fast approaching on Tuesday, November 3rd, OPL would like to make sure you have the resources you need to vote. Continue reading for information on voter registration, early voting, and absentee voting in Wayne County.
Election Day is Tuesday, November 3, 2020. New York offers absentee ballots by mail to voters who will be unable to vote in person. All other voters are expected to vote in person. New York offers early in-person voting.
The Library is proud to be a National Voter Registration Day partner. On September 22, visit the Library to register to vote in Wayne County in time for the national election. Get more information here.
General Voter Registration Info
Persons who will be 18 by or on November 3, 2020 are eligible to register to vote in the national election. You may register at 17 but must be 18 when you vote.
To vote in Wayne County, NY you must :
- be a citizen of the United States;
- be 18 years old (you may register at 17 but cannot vote until you are 18);
- be resident of Wayne County for at least 30 days before the election;
- not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction (unless parolee pardoned or restored rights of citizenship); not be adjudged mentally incompetent by a court;
- and not claim the right to vote elsewhere.
Verification of Voter Identity is expected before you vote in compliance with the Help America Vote Act (2002)! From the list below, see which documents you may have and bring what you can with you. If registering by U.S. Mail prepare a copy of your documents to include with your registration.
What to know: The easiest way to register is online at the DMV site and requires you have your:
- NY DMV Driver’s License number
- or NY non-driver photo ID and number
- AND last 4-digits of your social security number.
If you do not have a DMV ID or social security number and cannot use the online process, you may register
- in person in Lyons at The Wayne County Board of Elections located at
- 7376 State Route 31
- Lyons, NY 14489
- Phone: 315-946-7400
- By U.S. Mail, see more information below.
If you do not have a NY photo ID or social security number, you may use one or more of these documents to verify your identity:
- Photo ID (example: College, Employee ID, other Government ID, etc.)
- Bank Statement
- Pay check
- Government check
- Other government document with name and current address
If you are unable to verify your identity at the time of registration, you will be asked for ID when you vote for the first time. The same above-named documents may be presented when you vote.
The deadline for voter registration for the November election is October 9, 2020.
Online Voter Registration
- NY DMV ID information is required to register online.
- You can register online to vote until Friday, October 9, 2020.
- To use the New York online voter registration system
- You need a NY state driver license, permit, or non-driver ID issued by the DMV
- AND a social security number.
- The address listed on your ID needs to match where you’re registering to vote.
- You may change your address online with the DMV. Change your address here: DMV
- If you don’t have a New York-issued ID, or prefer to register at a different address, you can still register by mail to vote.
Voter Registration by U.S. Mail
To register by mail, especially if you do not have an NYS Dept. of Motor Vehicle issued ID (Driver’s License, permit or photo ID) print the voter registration form here, and mail your completed by mail, including Identity verification, if necessary, for receipt in Lyons no later than October 9, 2020. Mail to:
Wayne County Board of Elections 7376 State Route 31 Lyons, NY 14489 Phone: 315-946-7400
Mail in, paper-based applications, request but do not require identification to register. Please read the above information in the General Voter Registration Info section: Verification of Voter Identity. This requirement is a federal requirement associated with the Help America Vote Act (2002)
Confirm your NY Voter Registration
Check your NY voter registration status online.
Make Changes to Your Voter Registration
- Make party affiliation changes here through MyDMV. Requires NY Photo ID (DMV Driver or Non-driver ID).
- Change your address here
- Requires you access your current or create a new MyDMV account here.
Request an Absentee Ballot
Click here to download the form used to request an Absentee Ballot to be mailed to you for the national election. Printed copies of this application are available at the Library, too
The process to vote absentee by mail follows:
- Review the absentee ballot application and confirm that you meet the eligibility requirements for voting absentee.
- Fill out the application completely.
- Submit the request in person or by U.S. Post to the Wayne County Board of Elections
- You should request your ballot as far in advance of the election as possible. The deadline to request an Absentee Ballot by mail is (received by) Tuesday, October 27, 2020.
- When your ballot arrives, read it carefully and follow the instructions to complete it and return it.
- The Absentee ballot must be postmarked no later than November 3, 2020
- The ballot must be received at the Wayne County Board of Elections no later than November 10.
- Mail your completed ballot to:
Wayne County Board of Elections 7376 State Route 31 Lyons, NY 14489
All early voting for Wayne County residents will take place at the Wayne County Board of Elections Office, Public Safety Bldg, 7376 State Route 31, Lyons NY 14489
Early Voting Hours for the General Election are:
Saturday, October 24, 2020: from: 9 AM to: 2 PM
Sunday, October 25, 2020: from: 9 AM to: 2 PM
Monday, October 26, 2020: from: 9 AM to: 5 PM
Tuesday, October 27, 2020: from: 9 AM to: 8 PM
Wednesday, October 28, 2020: from: 9 AM to: 8 PM
Thursday, October 29, 2020: from: 9 AM to: 5 PM
Friday, October 30, 2020: from: 9 AM to: 5 PM
Saturday, October 31, 2020: from: 9 AM to: 2 PM
Sunday, November 1, 2020: from: 9 AM to: 2 PM